Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blossom & Dot

Sheep milady in my etsy store
hello, i'm cute

are you my mother?


Rosie and Blossom



sweet little miss Dot

Meet my new love, BLOSSOM.

I recently had a birthday, April 16th to be exact. I felt old . It was a miserable snowy day and nothing about it felt unusually special. A friend left a message about some bum lambs that needed mothering. I had a naughty warm feeling in my heart...and said YES without even telling my husband. Next thing I knew, I was at a lambing shed looking at 1000's of sheep and as many newborn babies. Mr. Field, being a hardened sheep farmer, still had a softness in his way which made the sad bits a little easier. Life and Death. The lessons of farmlife. At the far end of the barn was a little lean -to with warm orange lights and dozens of little wooly newborns and a super nice lady with a baby bottle. Knowing I was coming, she picked a hopeful one out for me....may I introduce....BLOSSOM.


I will be documenting Blossom's progress with a Flickr because, well, i'm slighty obssessed with her. I actually took 2, Dot a teeny little twin who never really had a chance to nurse in the wee frigid hours after birth, stole my heart with her floppy bunny ears and single black dot on her side. I slept with her by my side all wrapped in towels. I held her all day in my lap - a riduculous late spring snowstorm had us housebound. Rosie and I watched the Boy in the Blue Pajamas...a quiet deeply sad movie about the holocaust, while Dot lamely swallowed drops of sheep formula from a syringe. I put her down for a short bit when she peacefully slipped away.

Of course, we all wept.


On a happy note, Miss Blossom is well, blossoming! She is smarter than a puppy and I am totally in love.
The nice farmer said, "you just don't know...some just don't have the will to live"



Blessings Miss Dot.


xo milady

3 comments:

Lisa Anne Baumbach said...

You're killing me with these animal stories (2nd time I am weepy reading your blog!) I am so sorry about Dot. What a wonderful thing you did for her that she could feel love and warmth and comfort during her final hours.

xo Rosamund

Unknown said...

i know, i know...i just love'em so much! Good thing is that little miss Blossom is doing really well!:)

Fine Little Day said...

Sweet so sweet :)

Love your circus theme paintings on your site Stephanie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails